Saturday, October 4, 2008

Response to Gee Article

I think the "Gee" article was very interesting. I agree with many things stated in the article about how students should learn in school. I too think education in school should be fun and students should have the ability to customize their curriculum.  If students could choose how they learn something it would be more interesting and make more kids want to learn.  I also agree with what he says about the risk taking.  I think it's true if we were allowed more chances to fail, it would help us maintain a better understanding of what we did wrong.  This would help us do better the next time around like when you fail at defeating a boss in a game.  All subjects taught to students should not only be given to them in facts, but students should be allowed to experiment much like the article said with Biology.  For example, when students learn science or math they should do experiments so that they can have a hands on learning experience.  This will help students become more familiar with the subject.  I also think video games are teaching us without us realizing it.  I play a lot of strategy games like The Legend of Zelda, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, etc.  These games have a lot of puzzles and problems you must solve to advance.  Over the years these games have really helped enhance my problem solving skills and I am now really go at puzzles.  Also when I was around 8 years old I learned a new word from a video game.  The word was simultaneous, which I learned from a game called Sonic Adventure.  The game gave me instructions to press two buttons "simultaneously" and I didn't understand what to do.  I used logic which I developed from playing games like this and figured it out on my own.  

1 comment:

Dereck.Garcia said...

I think what Gee said was very interesting too. I agree if students could choose how they want to learn they would be more interested, but the thing is many teachers don't want to leave the way the teach because they are so use to their ways. The failing part caught my attention the most. I agreed with it if we fail we can learn what we did wrong. If educators would take inconsideration what Gee said students can really learn a lot.